Kevin Reed - from Rugby to Roast Pork and Root Vegetables

... meet the Most Promising Young Chef of the Year

                                     
Kevin Reed, 20-year-old student currently completing his Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking at the Capsicum Culinary Studio Cape Town campus, has been awarded the Most Promising Young Chef of the Year at the One&Only Reaching for Young Stars project for 2018 held recently in Cape Town.
 
Reed, who lives in Branckenfell, will now get the opportunity of a lifetime as his prize includes a five-month work experience opportunity at Winslow's Tavern, a top heritage restaurant located in Cape Cod, Massachusetts in the United States.
 
The restaurant is housed in an historic Federalist building in scenic Wellfleet and run by South African expats, Chef Patron Phillip and Tracey Hunt. It is acclaimed by food and travel writers and is staffed by an international brigade of highly skilled chefs who thrive on collaboration, camaraderie, fast pace and high volume producing an all-American seasonal menu heavily influenced by coastal cuisines.
 
Says Reed: “I am a former rugby player but I decided to give it all up for the love of cooking. Previously, I worked in England as a commis chef but decided to come back to South Africa to do my diploma at Capsicum because I have an absolute passion for food and the industry."
 
Adds Lianne Holt, principal of Capsicum's Cape Town campus: "We are very proud of Kevin. He worked hard for this competition so it is rewarding for us to see his talents recognised."
 

We asked the young chef some food-related questions:
 Name three ingredients we will always find in your kitchen.
Garlic, fennel and lemons.
 
What is the one kitchen tool you could not do without?
Wooden spoons. I just love them to be honest.
 
What would be on the menu for your last meal?
Crispy skin pork belly with root vegetables, apple cider gravy and an apple sauce.
 
Is there one food item you really don't like?
I don't like button mushrooms. Other mushrooms are fabulous though.
 
Name five people who you would like to get around a table to cook for and have dinner with.
My best friend, Tannie Lollie (one of my biggest motivators), my grandad, my first love of course - just to let her taste my success - and my grandmother.
 
Who is your food hero?
Chris Erasmus, the owner of Foliage in Franschhoek. What a nice guy and such an inspiration with endless knowledge.
 
Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?
We will wait and see. The sky is the limit. That's the beauty of this industry.

Comments