Conversation with a brilliant Chef

Franco takes being a chef in his stride


Chef Franco Buys had just landed his dream job in Qatar when he mysteriously lost the use of one of his legs and thought his culinary career might be over.



However, Buys – who trained at Capsicum Culinary Studio in Johannesburg and who now lives in Weltevreden Park – had always wanted to be a chef and was determined to walk again and get his goal back on track.



Now a sous chef at the prestigious Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff in Johannesburg, he tells his story which he says “has more action than a Rockyfranchise and more drama than a top soapie combined.”


You lost the use of your leg while in Qatar – how did that happen and did you think that your food dream was over?

I learnt that your life can change in one moment. I woke up one morning and couldn't move my leg due to excruciating pain. I had numerous tests over the months that followed. It was only later that an MRI scan found I had necrosis in my hip. By then the damage was done and I needed surgery which I underwent back home in South Africa. My rehabilitation took two years. I had a lot of time lying flat on my back to think about what to do next. The answer remained the same – I wanted to be a chef. Dreams only end if you give up on them.



What was your journey through Capsicum Culinary Studio like?

It was a stepping stone to my future. I walked into Capsicum with one goal – to work hard.
Capsicum showed me exactly what to expect in the real world and how to prepare for it.



Why did you want to become a chef?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved eating food. Also, people will always need to eat, so you will always have a job. My childhood on my grandparents’ farm in Polokwane also moulded a lot of my journey.


What is your best food memory?

When I was asked to create a menu for the South African ambassador and 200 of his guests in Qatar for National Day. That was the day I knew that I was on the right path.


How do you believe SA chefs and restaurants compare to those internationally?
We can hold our own and we've proved it. South Africa is such an awesome mash up of culinary deliciousness; that’s why people always come back for more.



What do you do to stay current on new trends?
I do what every normal chef does. After a long shift in the kitchen, I go home and sit on YouTube and Instagram following, reading, questioning and soaking up all culinary knowledge and information. All it takes is one moment, one idea to ignite the fire in your food soul.


 
Describe some latest industry trends.
I love the current “farm to table” and “head to tail” trends because that’s how I was raised, spending ever summer holiday on my grandparents’ farm learning where food came from and how to harvest it. We want future generations to enjoy what we have and to do that we must keep it sustainable. It is vitally important that people know where their food comes from.


What would be your advice to those considering studying cooking or hospitality?
Find someone to mentor you, (if you can’t find someone… ask me) and never stop learning. This is the toughest, most gratifying job on the planet. Find your passion and don’t stop until you’ve won.

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I admire such people who, after a difficult period of their life, continue to fight for their dreams. Congratulations about the post, it is very useful and makes you think about the things in your life!
    And I'm sure the food that he cooks with so much desire is magnificent!

    TopBeautyWoman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look up to such people! Thank you for taking time out to read

      Delete

Post a Comment