A WADE BALES AFFAIR

MY EXPERIENCE AT THE KAYAFM WINE AND WHISKY AFFAIR



The Kaya FM Wine and Whisky affair presented by Wade Bales in partnership with Hyde Park corner was everything I had imagined and more. I for one have never been to Wade Bales events, however I've heard people describe them as a sophisticated gathering amongst friends. This was exactly my expectation going in, leaving no room for disappointments even with knowing what people say about expectations. I don't regret having high expectations for this event as they were met and I left completely satisfied.

The Kaya FM Wine and Whisky affair allowed us to taste some of the most incredible wines and whiskies from around the world. Guests were welcomed with a complimentary glass to enjoy unlimited tastings of more than 200 of South Africa's premium wines and over 100 top malt whiskies from around the world. This was the perfect opportunity to engage and find out the back stories from winemakers and whisky ambassadors.

Can we talk about the food? gorgeous! we had a wide variety of gourmet cheese, breads, meat, fruits to choose from. The inclusion of food was an amazing idea, with all those tastings you are going to need some food to keep things balanced. Everyone who was there was raving about the quality and presentation of the various foods we had.

Another thing that stood out for me was the Half-Time Bell that they incorporated in the show, where for a limited period of 15 minutes, you get access to taste exclusive and limited editions of wines and whiskies. I took advantage of this, anyone who knows me knows I prefer exclusivity before anything else!

Here's a list of my favourite wines and whiskies tasted on both evenings:

WINES
1. ALTO SHIRAZ 2016Alto - Shiraz - 6 x 750ml -  Medium to full-bodied with a good balance between finesse and structure. Red fruit and spices. infact, great balance! The spiciness at the back of your throat? to die for!

2. DURBANVILLE HILLS COLLECTORS RESERVE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2018 - DURBANVILLE HILLS Collectors Reserve Cape Mist Sauvignon Blanc (1 x 750ml)
 A gorgeous 750ml bottle, slick, great colour. The label is inviting, this is one of the premium ranges. Loved the tropical fruit flavours and freshness on the palate
 
3. GROOT CONSTANTIA SAUVIGNON BLANC 2018 - Image result for groot constantia sauvignon blanc 2018
I found out from the exhibitors that the grapes are hand picked very early in the morning. after fermentation, the wine is left on the lees for 4 months before being racked, fined and stabilized in preparation. I enjoyed this so much. I have to add it to my collection.


WHISKIES

I really do not know much about whisky but here's what my palate preferred

1. Bain's - Cape Mountain Whisky - 750mlBains Cape Mountain Whisky. I enjoy this whisky everytime and there's no surprise it's one of the best I tasted that night. I suggest you take it as it is. No ice, no water, just so you can go on a journey with all the flavours coming through. It's a single-grain malt! That says alot.

2. THE GLENLIVET 12YO MALT WHISKY 750MLThe Glenlivet 12 Year old. Now this is what I'm talking about! This might make me fall in love with whiskies. Vanilla notes and gives the whisky its distinct smoothness. It has a soft balance of sweet summer fruits and floral notes of spring flowers. So bloody yummy!
 
3.  Image result for highland park naked grouse The Highland park naked grouse. The exhibitors created such great whisky cocktails with this. They had that fresh, lime taste. it was amazing






A special thanks to the exhibitors & all event partners. It was truly memorable. I am looking forward to the next one! #WineWhiskyAffair


MY SOCIAL MEDIA

Comments